Thursday, July 14, 2022

July 2022 Supermoon

As reported on EarthSky and other sites, the full moon yesterday was the closest and brightest of 2022, fitting the definition of what is now commonly referred to as a supermoon. It was cloudy to the east when I went out to the north shore of White Rock Lake to capture it rising over Corinthian Sailing Club so initially it wasn't visible but it eventually started peaking out of the clouds, appearing very orange. Here is the shot I captured with a Nikon D750 attached to our Evostar 72ED telescope and 85% focal reducer/corrector mounted on our Sky Watcher Star Adventurer tracker. This is the result of processing 150 shots, first cropped and exposure adjusted with Lightroom Classic and then stacked with PlanetarySystemStacker to get a cleaner, sharper image.

This is a pretty crude result as I am still learning how to get optimal focus with the camera on this telescope, how to balance the tracker to improve stability and how to use the stacking software. More to come...

While I was shooting this, I had another camera taking shots for a timelapse video of the supermoon rising over the sailing club and the lake. I'll post that after I have time to work on editing and rendering it. 

Click on the image to view full screen. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment