Thursday, August 31, 2023

Solar Transit of a Jet


UPDATE: I've replaced the previous video with a new version that includes the sound of the jet flyover from the original audio track. 

While out filming the sun to practice for the total solar eclipse next April, I was photo-bombed by a jet! 

The technical term is "transit", when an object crosses in front of an astronomical body. There is plenty of air traffic over our house with Love Field and DFW serving the area so I guess this shouldn't have surprised me but observing a transit (like this one, or this one) takes being in just the right place at just the right time so it's a pretty rare thing to have happen. 

One reason I happened to be shooting at this time is that I'm working out exactly what equipment I'm going to be shooting with for the total solar eclipse. This video was shot using:
  • Sky Watcher EvoStar 72ED refractor
  • Baader film solar filter
  • 2" mirror diagonal
  • Celestron 1.25" 2X Barlow
  • T2-ring
  • Nikon D750 DSLR
  • Focusing with DeepSkyDad AF3 autofocuser
  • Sky Watcher Star Adventurer 2 tracker
  • Radian carbon fiber tripod
I have a new 2" 2X Barlow and I plan to shoot straight-through (i.e., no diagonal) but I am still working out what combination of components will allow me to properly focus with the new Barlow. Once I have that worked out, I'll start working on automating my astrophotography workflow using a small computer (a Raspberry 4 running software called StellerMate).  

The quality of this video isn't great but that's basically because I was focusing (pun intended) more on getting the equipment working right than on the finer details. Next April may see a long ways off but it will be here in the blink of an eye and as I know from my experience in 2017, being ready to catch a full eclipse end-to-end, most importantly those few minutes of totality, takes an incredible amount of practice. So, I'll be shooting pretty regularly over the next few months to make sure I have everything working perfectly. 

Anyone have a way to ensure that April clouds don't spoil the eclipse for me, er, us?

Seriously, you'll notice from the video that the Sun is pretty active with quite a few sunspots showing. Over the next few weeks, if I can get a day with good "seeing" (i.e., where there is minimal air turbulence), I'll get some shots with lots of detail, everything in focus, and the sunspots should jump off the page at you. Stay tuned!

Warning 
NEVER look directly at the sun without proper protection. This video was shot using a telescope and camera equipped with a special solar filter.

No comments:

Post a Comment