Saturday, October 14, 2023

October 14th, 2023 Annular Eclipse Timelapse

 

Unable to make it to a spot on the path of the annular eclipse today to view the Ring of Fire, I captured this timelapse of the partial eclipse view from my backyard. 

What's great about successfully capturing this eclipse that I wasn't even home! Since our granddaughter Harper was showing her rabbit at the State Fair of Texas stock show today, I had the equipment set up to run automatically. Months of preparation and practice paid off! BTW, more to come on the State Fair....

The shadows on the first few seconds are power lines which appear to move across the face of the Sun but it's the Sun's apparent motion across the sky, tracked by the telescope/camera, that accounts for the motion. 

This view was captured with a special solar filter, a Baader solar film filter. Without it, pointing my telescope and camera at the Sun would have damaged my equipment. 

As we are approaching "solar maximum", the Sun is pretty active so there are plenty of Sunspots across the face of the Sun right now. 

Here's what I used to create this timelapse. I set the internal intervalometer on the D750 to take shots every 30 seconds at 1/1000th shutter speed from just before till just after the eclipse, about 380 shots in all. Just to be sure I didn't have to worry about batteries in the camera and tracker lasting long enough, I ran everything off an external power pack stored under the tripod. You can see the equipment in action in my post on eclipse preparations

Equipment
Sky Watcher EvoStar 72ED Refractor
Sky Watcher 0.85 Flattener/Reducer
Sigma 2X Teleconverter
DeepSkyDad AF3 Autofocuser
Baader Solar Film Filter
Nikon D750 DSLR
Sky Watcher Star Adventurer 2 Tracker
Radian Carbon Fiber Tripod

Processed on Mac OS with 
Adobe Lightroom Classic
LRTimelapse
DaVinci Resolve

Music
"Eclipse"
by 1st Contact
Shared under Creative Commons License
Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License

No comments:

Post a Comment