Saturday, April 13, 2024

April 8th 2024 Total Solar Eclipse: Fine Detail in Corona


I went down a bit of a rabbit hole this week, assuming that to really get sharp detailed images of totality I needed to go through the rather involved process of using calibration frames to process all of the images I planned to stack before trying to stack, register and merge them. After spending a few evenings starting down that road, I took a break and in reviewing tutorials on processing solar eclipse images I ran across several that describe doing everything directly in Photoshop without the use of registration frames. 

Following the process described in this Sky & Telescope article, I created the image above using a set of images shot at 2 stop intervals from 1/4000th of a second to 1 second, all shot at f/5 and ISO 100 with my Nikon D750 through our Sky Watcher Evostar 72ED telescope. 

Click on it to enlarge and check out the incredible detail. You'll find features like:

  • Plenty of detail in the solar corona
  • Solar prominences
  • The lunar surface illuminated with light reflected from Earth (Earthshine)
  • Several stars from the constellation Pisces

This is just the first phase of edits described in the article so more to come. In the meantime, I did a separate version with features labeled. 



No comments:

Post a Comment